Practice Areas >
Our Construction Law attorneys team with our clients to help them achieve their business vision and goals. Our mission is to provide excellent, innovative, and cost effective legal services for our clients. In fulfilling that mission we bring our team’s wide array of practical and legal construction project experiences to our services.
While Vandeventer Black provides a full array of services needed by our business clients, some of our core Construction Law services include:
• Contract negotiations and preparations, including company formations, teaming agreements, joint ventures, and project financing
• Contract and other dispute resolution, including claims analysis, claims preparation, and claims resolution through mechanic’s liens, payment bonds, mediation, arbitration, litigation or other disputes processes
• Safety, environmental and other regulatory compliance, including assessments, action planning, administrative hearings, and appellate proceedings
• Employment contracts, wages and regulatory compliance, including wage determinations, benefits, right-to-work laws, labor agreements, and non-competes
• Procurement fraud compliance, including false claims acts, qui tam actions, whistleblower matters, crimes against corporations, and white collar criminal actions
Our experiences include projects of varied sizes, types, and complexity, including vertical, horizontal, heavy civil, and industrial construction projects, including commercial buildings, multi-family housing projects, airports, marine terminals, shipyards, bridges, highways, schools, hospitals, electric power generation facilities, and wastewater treatment plants. Our clients include Fortune 500 companies, state and local government agencies, architecture and engineering firms, international, regional and local contractors, specialty subcontractors, and suppliers.
While disputes are an unfortunate aspect of construction, we focus on preventive law to help our clients evaluate risks, avoid disputes, or for those that cannot be avoided identify them early to help develop prompt, effective and cost-efficient solutions. Our training and internal assessments improve our clients’ business processes, and when needed we provide in-the-field assessments and advice to identify issues and formulate solutions for them.
Our team members include veteran attorneys with construction field experience, and project costing, scheduling and management skills, and also include a number of lawyers holding engineering degrees, a registered professional engineer and a registered architect. Our construction attorneys also include trained and certified mediators and arbitrators. Our Construction attorneys are licensed in many states, including Virginia, North Carolina, the District of Columbia, Maryland, and New York, and we have handled matters throughout the country.